POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : --- : Re: Efficiency question, PovRay 3.1 - intersections? Server Time
3 Aug 2024 12:19:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Efficiency question, PovRay 3.1 - intersections?
From: Andreas Kaiser
Date: 14 Feb 2004 10:10:03
Message: <7scs20tunie16chd8idvv0u2b68sm14fsb@4ax.com>
On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 22:59:59 -0800, Darren <dne### [at] sanrrcom> wrote:

>Mike Williams wrote:
>> That's right, it's just that POV can't automatically determine any
>> tighter bounds than that. In some circumstances it's possible to
>> manually construct bounds that are very much better than that.
>
>Hmmm. Well, right now, I'm manually putting in bounds that are the wall
>the windows are in.

IMHO this will only slow down the renderer as your manual bounds are
identical to the walls.

>On the other hand, I used to be unioning together all the walls, then
>all the windows, so I guess the bounding box would be the whole building
>in that case. I can see where that would be problematic.

Here is the problem.
You should do it the other way round. Create each wall as a difference
object where it's windows and doors are 'subtracted'.
Then put them into a union to create the buildings.
This will speed up your rendering and you will not benefit much from
my patch.

--
Andreas