POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Photon - Cornell Box : Re: Photon - Cornell Box Server Time
5 Aug 2024 02:23:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Photon - Cornell Box
From: Peter Popov
Date: 7 Mar 2003 12:12:10
Message: <7jkh6vs99254qsh0tlhi5313v7sln2fte9@4ax.com>
On Thu, 20 Feb 2003 22:56:50 -0500, "White Zebra"
<ypo### [at] cogniscienceinccom> wrote:

>The difference is that when a photon is bounced from a specular surface, it
>is bounced back *only* in the mirror direction from the surface normal.
>While when a photon is bounced from a diffuse surface, it is bounced back in
>*all* directions. Because of that, global photons do not produce caustics.
>They will just add more radiance to alreadu illuminated objects.

Ouch...

Even in a polygon-based renderer (which POV is not), I can smell some
very bad integrals involved to determine the energy distribution. In
POV's case, all I smell is a LOT of sampling should this technique
ever be implemented.

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] vipbg