POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Bug with quadrics ? : Re: Bug with quadrics ? Server Time
1 Aug 2024 10:14:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bug with quadrics ?
From: Mike Williams
Date: 2 Nov 2005 19:59:10
Message: <7iMNXOAn5VaDFwTt@econym.demon.co.uk>

>Hi everyone,
>  I have a source code with three quadrics that behave strangely: when I put
>only two of the three quadrics, everything looks like it should, but when I
>render with the three of them, one is strangely clipped off.
>
>  Does any of you have an idea of what is going on ?

I can't reproduce the problem (POV 3.6.0.icl8.win32) but situations
where things work correctly with two objects but bits disappear when
there are three objects tends to be caused by bugs in the automatic
bounding calculations. The bounding slab doesn't properly contain the
affected object.

The default Bounding_Threshold is 3. This means that automatic bounding
is switched off when rendering scenes with less than 3 objects.

You can verify that this is the problem by rendering the image with a
higher Bounding_Threshold, by using +MB4 in the command line, and
observing that the image then renders correctly.

That's not a good solution, because you really don't want to disable
bounding in a large complex scene, but it gives a good basis for a bug
report.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure