POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Bug with quadrics ? : Re: Bug with quadrics ? Server Time
1 Aug 2024 10:15:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bug with quadrics ?
From: rock
Date: 5 Nov 2005 12:38:19
Message: <7810.436ced99.3c32@localhost>
Benoit Kloeckner wrote:
> Mike Williams <nos### [at] econymdemoncouk> wrote:
>
>>I can't reproduce the problem (POV 3.6.0.icl8.win32)
>

>   I'm running POV 3.6.1 (g++ 3.4.1 @ i686-pc-linux-gnu).
>

>>You can verify that this is the problem by rendering the image with a
>>higher Bounding_Threshold, by using +MB4 in the command line, and
>>observing that the image then renders correctly.
>

>   You're right, with the +MB4 option the problem disappears.
>

>>That's not a good solution, because you really don't want to disable
>>bounding in a large complex scene, but it gives a good basis for a bug
>>report.
>

>   Ok, what's the next step? See if other people with 3.6.1 can reproduce the
> problem ?
>
> --
> Benoit Kloeckner

	Manual bounding is possible in povray and will often
fix problems of this nature.
	For the problem object(s), manually specify a bounding
sphere or a bounding box.  The syntax is something like:

  quadric {
    .... snip ....
    bounded_by {
      sphere <0, 0, 0>, 1
    }
  }

	Manual bounding is ignored by povray unless you have the
right settting in your povray.ini file.  Something
like the following:

  Remove_Bounds=Off

	For some reason that never works so I've also added this
line to my povray.ini

  -UR

	That works for me.  See if that helps.  If not, then I am
at a loss for further ideas.

--
to all the companies who wait until a large user base becomes
dependant on their freeware, then shafting said happy campers with