POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV Wishlist : Re: POV Wishlist Server Time
4 Aug 2024 00:21:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV Wishlist
From: Peter Popov
Date: 22 Mar 2004 05:37:18
Message: <73gt509o3nvmftahhdpgt87ifu7t49uuit@4ax.com>
On 17 Mar 2004 06:04:46 -0500, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:

>Peter Popov <pet### [at] vipbg> wrote:
>  I think that the idea of dumping an object to binary format is to
>save space and that it's very quick to load. XML does not.

XML is pretty strict grammatically and hence an efficiently written
XML parser should be quite faster than an efficiently written SDL
parser. Besides, in many situations part of the rendering code is used
for parsing. Think about grass on a hill - trace() against an
isosurface...

Think of it also from another perspective - the VFAQ about exporting
POV objects to other software. XML parsers are widely available and so
are tools for converting to various 3D formats, so eventually creating
such a converter would be made easier.

Still, just my two Eurocents' worth.

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] vipbg