POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : .TER heightfield format patch available : Re: .TER heightfield format patch available Server Time
28 Sep 2024 19:50:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: .TER heightfield format patch available
From: ABX
Date: 16 Jun 2003 14:11:03
Message: <6rurevom7rnpk25is6vnltupusglpb0t25@4ax.com>
On Fri, 13 Jun 2003 13:14:34 -0700, "Ray Gardener" <ray### [at] daylongraphicscom>
wrote:

> > Other thing is that releasing only binaries breaks license:
>
> I appreciate your concern, but there's nothing going on here.

I know, but starting correct makes less changes later and builds vision of your
person in serious later cooperation. BTW, there is another violation of license.
Last paragraph of http://www.daylongraphics.com/other/povray/patches/ is:

  The Usual Disclaimer

  The code is still under development and is not warranted nor supported by me
  or by Daylon Graphics Ltd.

while POV license says clear:

  You must provide all support for all users who use your custom version.

Another important issue broken in your TER patch is this part of POV license:

  If  your  custom  version  contains  any  feature  that  would cause a
  POV-Ray   scene  source  file  that  works  on your version to fail or
  otherwise work incorrectly on  either the current official  version of
  POV-Ray , or on the official  version that was built from  the version
  of the source  that you are  using for your  custom version, you  must
  include code  that checks  that the  scene source  file has a #version
  directive  that  includes  the  'unofficial'  token, and you must only
  activate your changes  (including, but not  limited to, new  keywords)
  if  that  #version  directive  is  present.  If it is not present your
  custom version  must work  in the  same way  as the  standard  POV-Ray
  that it is built from.  An example of a correct  'unofficial' #version
  declaration is '#version unofficial megapov 0.7 ;'.

Carrying for community is as much important as delivering attractive features.

BTW 1, it would be great if in TER patch some sample TER file could be attached
with sample scene.

BTW 2, are you sure that all exe files listed in INTRODUCTION section of
readme's are fully available ?

BTW 3, your changes in sources are nicely documented but would it be possible to
change naming of switches to something with PATCH string? See
http://megapov.inetart.net/manual/internals.html#markup for details.

BTW 4, there is a note in TER patch description: "Since the xxx_FILE constants
in frame.h have no room for additional filetypes (not if each type has to be a
bitmask, anyway), the patch works by loading the TER file and then pretending
that it loaded a PNG grayscale file. It's inelegant, but it works."
Look for MPEG_PORT_PATCH in MegaPOV 1.0 sources. This is probably more 'elegant'
and expected solution.

BTW 5, are:
	#pragma comment(lib, "opengl32")
	#pragma comment(lib, "glu32")
and
	#include "gl\gl.h"
	#include "gl\glu.h"
part of larger library or just win32 specific components ? Don't you think it is
worth to list this library in banners like for LibPNG etc?

ABX