POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Plane as BLOB_ELEMENT? : Re: Plane as BLOB_ELEMENT? Server Time
28 Sep 2024 16:51:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Plane as BLOB_ELEMENT?
From: Andreas Kaiser
Date: 5 Feb 2004 20:40:29
Message: <6mp520lgm4rermopbftmdcs9sgho3ogbp4@4ax.com>
On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 18:38:39 -0500, Christopher James Huff
<cja### [at] earthlinknet> wrote:

>> >Do you think you could add toroidal components? Or boxes and sharp-edged
>> >cylinder and cone components? The latter two shouldn't be too hard if
>> >you have planes working...

Oh, oh.

Given a plane (with some thickness as I used it as a BLOB_ELEMENT):

 - Intersection: you only have to check where the ray enters/exits the
   space of influence ~= distance to the plane's origin.
 - Normal: trivial
 - Inside: trivial

Now take an arbitrary object:

What is the reference point/plane/surface/... and/or metric in space
to compute the 'field value' which in the end defines the surface of
the element?

If we can provide a consistent solution for a special object type I
would agree, it is not hard to add it (to BLOB).

>Heh...well, a box is essentially six plane components with some
>clipping. And sharp edged cones/cylinders would involve capping with
>plane pieces rather than sphere pieces. The blob2 patch supports these
>partially...still a few kinks to work out.
>
>Other ideas: rounded box, superellipsoid, a third kind of cone/cylinder
>component with torus-rounded edges, meshes...

Let's talk about it, may be we can create some 'tools' for the artists
;)

--
Andreas