POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : "POV-Ray is free... the internet isn't!" : Re: "POV-Ray is free... the internet isn't!" Server Time
14 Aug 2024 01:21:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: "POV-Ray is free... the internet isn't!"
From: Twyst
Date: 25 Apr 1998 20:17:23
Message: <6htr6m$qkl$1@oz.aussie.org>
Bryan Garnett-Law wrote in message <6htpmj$qj4$1@oz.aussie.org>...
>Totally agree!  Would be a pity to lose such terrific program!!
>I would totally kill for a Povray magazine too ;-)
>
>Bryan Garnett-Law
>
>Gary Shannon wrote in message <01bd7075$81359960$097a89d0@reboot>...
>>Considering the outrageous price tag on commercial art software I would
>>happily pay $100 for POV-Ray.  Maybe the answer is some kind of reasonably
>>priced MEMBERSHIP in a "POV_Ray organization".  Membership would maybe
>>entitle you to access to the POV-Ray newsgroups, or maybe a newsletter or
>>POV magazine.  Or it might be advisable <gasp!> to make POV-Ray shareware.
>>I'd rather pay for what I'm getting and be able to GET IT than to loose
>>access to the resources you're providing.

I would be HAPPY to help, and I would even offer my linux box as a
distribution point. Unfortunately, as Chris said, when you pay for data
transfer it gets a little horrendous.

As for the magazine idea, I think it would be great. But the question here,
is.. Will it go the same way as the Pov-Zine? Is there the user base? I
would be happy to publish one, as I have connections here in Edmonton.
However, the problem is... Is there enough content to do so? I'm
encountering problems when trying to get articles for my site. If I could
manage to pay people, I would.. I'd love to support Pov-Ray even more.

As for shareware, unfortunately, what I know would happen, is that people
will use it, and not actually register it. If the source is available, why
bother trying? If the source isn't available, that's all well and good, but
it would put a stop to all the wonderful patches people are doing. If you
make Pov-Ray crippleware, where parts are disabled, nobody would use it. Sad
but true.

I don't have much in the way of financial resources, but if there was a way,
maybe with a "banner" service, to do more for Pov-Ray I would.
Unfortunately, with the only banner programs I know of, the Pov-Team would
only get like 5 cents, if someone clicked on them. That's a pittance.

If the cost is in maintaining the website, I'd be happy to do so. I have the
time and inclination to maintain a website on a daily basis. Unfortunately,
I don't have a decent location for it. It's either at GeoCities, which is
slow at times, or in my company's webspace. My boss wouldn't have a problem,
but there would be no place for the files. Good point about both options, is
that the hits and data transfer don't matter. You could do a data transfer
of 1000Gig, and they wouldn't care. I just joined the GeoCities "GeoPlus"
program. It gives me 20 megs of space, with extra space available at $2.50
per 5 meg. They will also host Virtual URLs, at another $5 a month. The
option is there... If this is the case, I would have NO problem with
covering these costs myself.

EFnet and NewNet #povray Channel Operator
Website: http://twyst.home.ml.org
E-Mail: twy### [at] v-wavecom