POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : About sounds in space in movies : Re: About sounds in space in movies Server Time
10 Oct 2024 08:01:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: About sounds in space in movies
From: Kyle
Date: 24 Jun 2008 08:15:19
Message: <6ho164to77h0r2ev5jqjre90757kn7af5q@4ax.com>
On 23 Jun 2008 17:50:58 -0400, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:

I think an additional reason is that this statement ...

>  Everybody knows that there's no sound in space

... is not really true.  I bet if you ask 100 people, "If we are both floating in
space, and I snap my fingers, what will it sound like?", most of them will not answer
correctly.

If you create a space film in which you do not hear the phasers fire, or the whoosh of
a spacecraft fly-by, I believe most people will think that something is wrong with the
film, because their
perception of physics is what they experience on Earth daily, not what is reality in
space.