POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Why is it?? : Re: Why is it?? Server Time
14 Aug 2024 01:24:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why is it??
From: Jeff Lee
Date: 23 Apr 1998 14:09:07
Message: <6hnvbd$g14$1@oz.aussie.org>
"Mike Weber" <mwe### [at] racal-pelagoscomx> wrote:

> Why is it that about 90% of the images I see on the 'net' created with POV
> are either about a space vehicle or space in general, or something out of
> Star Wars??  Not complaining, but just curious as to why?

Well, from what I've seen, POV-Ray users tend to be fairly technology-
oriented (especially the ones who do most of their modelling by hand),
and there seems to be a fairly large intersection between high-tech
people and readers of science fiction.  (Indeed, a number of computer
programmers became interested in the field through science fiction.)

Since people tend to model scenes of personal interest to them, I
suppose it's not that surprising to see a high percentage of science-
fiction themes.  (It's pretty funny to see the way people try to justify
entering SF images in the IRTC, though.)

Personally, I've used POV-Ray for about two years now, but I only
created my first SF-themed image this month.  It's not that the topic
didn't interest me before now, but after seeing the stuff produced by
people like Taura Learfox, I decided to wait until I had enough
familiarity with POV-Ray's capabilities, in order to avoid embarrassing
myself.  :-)

--
Jeff Lee         shi### [at] gatenet         http://www.gate.net/~shipbrk/