POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: choosing CPU : Re: choosing CPU Server Time
14 Aug 2024 03:17:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: choosing CPU
From: SmokeSerpent
Date: 4 Apr 1998 22:43:36
Message: <6g6ui0$7oj$1@oz.aussie.org>
Redaelli Paolo wrote in message <110### [at] incit>...
>>Mathias Broxvall wrote:
>>Seriously though, you can't compare photoshop on the G3 and PII as
>>photoshop is native to the mac platform...but I will admit that the G3
>>is faster than the PII, as I have seen it render lightwave images faster
>>than an equivalent PII. But if you want real fpu performance at a
>>resonable cost, Dec Alphas seem to be top of the list. And you can get

>... you're quite wrong. The inner core on Photoshop is written in C or C++,
therefore the Mac and Win version are as fast as they can be being native
code (PPC for Mac, x86 for Win).
>It is a fact that last Intel chips are slower than PPC.

As a sometime cross-platform programmer, I can tell you plainly that there
is a great deal you can do to slow down a program outside of the "inner
core", particularly when porting to a different OS.
--
Smo### [at] psnwcom