POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Any chance of a new output format patch? : Re: Any chance of a new output format patch? Server Time
8 Jul 2024 13:50:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Any chance of a new output format patch?
From: Glen Berry
Date: 11 Sep 2001 05:57:43
Message: <6dedO9T6vv=rDoslu975NdVgkXWt@4ax.com>
On 11 Sep 2001 03:33:10 -0400, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:

>Glen Berry <7no### [at] ezwvcom> wrote:
>: I'd like to be able to render high-bit-depth images to a file format
>: that is supported by Photoshop. The current support for PNG doesn't
>: result in a file that Photoshop can open as a "16 bit per channel"
>: image.
>
>  That's photoshop's fault, not povray's.

I'm not here to assign "blame",  just to mention that the two programs
don't currently cooperate in this matter of 48bpp images. I think it
would be very nice if they did. To remedy this situation, either
POV-Ray can be patched, a convertor can be written, or Photoshop can
have a new import plugin written for it.

Guess what? This isn't a news server devoted to creating Photoshop
plugins, so that's why I wondered if there would be any interest in
creating direct support in POV-Ray for a format that Photoshop *can*
read properly, or to design a convertor program as an accessory to
POV-Ray.

>  I just can't understand why such an advanced image editing program is
>so incredibly retarded when dealing with images with more than 8 bits per
>color channel... It's just plain weird. If you switch to 16 bits per color
>channel, you quickly find that 90% of the features are disabled.

True, *most* of the plugins won't work on the 48bpp images, but the
most important functions *DO* work on these images. Things such as
cropping, curves, and levels are totally functional at higher bit
depths. Additionally, once an image has been processed by either
curves or levels, it no longer has to remain in 48bpp mode anyway. At
that point, it's a simple matter to convert the image to 24bpp, and
proceed to use any of the other functions your heart desires.

>  Why should POV-Ray adapt to a stupid retarded program? Why won't they make
>it up-to-date?

"Stupid retarded" ?   Why so damn bitter?

There are a vast number of graphics professionals that consider
Photoshop the standard in professional photographic image editors.

As for the "up-to-date" part, total support for every variation of the
PNG standard isn't exactly the most demanded feature on the collective
wish lists of professional photo editors around the world. In case you
hadn't noticed, PNG is something of an oddity in the professional
photo editing realm. 48bpp PNG images are probably a few orders of
magnitude less in demand than even their under-appreciated 24bpp
cousins.

As for the shortage of 16-bit-per-channel plugins, Adobe is working on
converting more of their plugins to higher bit depths in the future.
For now, they have the most important features supported at the higher
bit depths.

I simply don't understand the bitterness you seem to have toward
Photoshop.

Later,
Glen