POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : OT: GIMP tip : OT: GIMP tip Server Time
5 Jul 2024 14:18:36 EDT (-0400)
  OT: GIMP tip
From: Peter Popov
Date: 17 Mar 2004 05:55:26
Message: <6cag501f24h46qi2i4vp32foaugvdegi6c@4ax.com>
Is anyone here using The GIMP? If so, do you find it awkward that it
doesn't feature a root window as in PhotoShop, PhotoPaint, PSP,
Painter and virtually every single graphics app out there?

I do. I hate accidentally clicking outside the image area and have a
background application pop up. Also, I hate it when I have to alt-tab
through a dozen GIMP windows, all with the same icon, to find the
right one.

So here is what I did to teach the GIMP to behave well:

%cat thegimp

#!/bin/sh

Xnest -name 'The Gimp' -ac -nolisten tcp :1 -geometry 1024x768+0+0 \
       & sleep 2; icewm --display=:1 & sleep 2; gimp --display :1

Then in the K menu I just start this script. Of course you can put the
whole command line in there too, no difference at all.

I have yet to find how to spawn the Xnest window with a) the GIMP icon
and b) no border. I am using KDE so if anyone has tips in this
direction, I'll appreciate them.

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] vipbg