POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test.binaries : noise_generator histograms : Re: noise_generator histograms Server Time
29 Jun 2024 01:40:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: noise_generator histograms
From: Mike Williams
Date: 23 Oct 2001 13:44:56
Message: <6RcV5CAh2T17EwKr@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it Nathan Kopp who wrote:

>"ingo" <ing### [at] homenl> wrote...
>> Histograms of the different noise_generators, one with the granite
>> pigment, the other with pigment{function{f_noise3d}}. Images rendered
>> to gamma=1.
>>  Maybe usefull in the docs, section "6.7.12.4".
>
>Actually, I was planning to fix the granite pattern so that it produces
>similar results for all three noise generators.  Any comments?  Also, would
>the wrinkles pattern need to be "fixed" too?

If you're going to "fix" wrinkles, then I reckon that you should do
"dents" as well.

There seem to be four groups of patterns to consider:-

Granite: Considerably different in a way that visibly alters existing
textures.

Dents and Wrinkles: Considerably different, but since they're mainly
used for normals the effect is far less noticeable.

Bozo and Bumps: Considerably different, but the point of the new noise
generators was to fix the existing plateaux problem with these patterns.

Everything else: Not affected.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure