POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Inquiry on Implementing Ray Tracing for 3D Gaussians in POV-Ray : Re: Inquiry on Implementing Ray Tracing for 3D Gaussians in POV-Ray Server Time
27 Sep 2024 01:19:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Inquiry on Implementing Ray Tracing for 3D Gaussians in POV-Ray
From: Alain Martel
Date: 24 Sep 2024 10:53:29
Message: <66f2d269$1@news.povray.org>
Le 2024-09-24 à 01:19, Harry Peverell a écrit :
> I am currently exploring the integration of 3D Gaussian Splatting (3DGS) models
> into the POV-Ray rendering environment, and I have a couple of questions.
>
> The 3DGS model represents a scene as a collection of discrete 3D Gaussian
> ellipsoids, each with varying sizes and properties.   As far as I understand,
> POV-Ray does not natively support ray tracing for ellipsoids of differing
> dimensions.   Is there a way to modify POV-Ray to accommodate the unique
> characteristics of 3DGS models and enable ray tracing for these variable-sized
> ellipsoids?
>
> If such modifications are possible, could you provide insights into the process
> or point me towards resources where I might find information on how to implement
> these changes?   Alternatively, if there are existing workarounds or plugins
> that could help achieve similar results, I would be very interested in learning
> about them.
>
> I believe that integrating 3DGS into POV-Ray could significantly enhance the
> rendering capabilities, especially for scenes that require high levels of detail
> and realism.   Any advice or assistance you could offer would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Harry

There are no ellipsoids per say, but, you can easily make one by
unevenly scaling a sphere, rotating it if needed, then translating it to
the desired location. Create at the origin so that the scaling and
rotation don't affect it's location, then move to the desired location.

sphere{ 0, Radius scale <ScaleX, ScaleY, ScaleZ> rotate<XRotate,
YRotate, ZRotate> translate Location}
You can take many of those and bind them into an union so that they can
be manipulated as a single entity.

If you want a smooth transition between the ellipsoids, you can make
them elements of a blob object.