POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : v3.8+ crackle instability (facets?) with >1 uses per thread. : Re: v3.8+ crackle instability (facets?) with >1 uses per thread. Server Time
27 Jul 2024 12:31:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: v3.8+ crackle instability (facets?) with >1 uses per thread.
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 14 Jun 2024 08:27:14
Message: <666c3722$1@news.povray.org>
On 6/8/24 15:12, William F Pokorny wrote:
> The crackle pattern and facets perturbation maintain thread local
> storage so information can be cached in a thread safe way.

Note too:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/35985960/c-why-is-boosthash-combine-the-best-way-to-combine-hash-values

---
In working to clean up and commit my last updates, I ran across a TODO
comment I'd added to friend std::size_t hash_value() in cracklecache.h
about the initial seed value of 0 - which bothers me. I did a quick
search this morning to look for rumblings about boost:combine().

Other issues aside. It might be our crackle caching mechanism is less
effective than it could be.

Bill P.