POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Best render farm? Also You Tube upload advice sought : Re: Best render farm? Also You Tube upload advice sought Server Time
27 Jul 2024 14:31:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Best render farm? Also You Tube upload advice sought
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 11 Jun 2024 11:44:38
Message: <666870e6$1@news.povray.org>
On 6/11/24 10:01, MichaelJF wrote:
> I had expected a faster calculation, but a factor of more than five
> really surprised me.

Reminds me I have a "todo" item to look at removing some merge bounding
related code I ran across one day which looks like it dump the objects
in a merge into the infinite / not bounded bucket once the bounding box
gets above a certain size.

It triggered at a size that was not that big - and I couldn't figure out
why it would ever be a good idea(*). If you have bounding for the merge
of objects, why wouldn't one always use it? How can it be, effectively,
worse than tossing all the objects into the infinite bucket?

Anyhow, someday I'll dig more into it.

Bill P.

(*) - Maybe there was some pre-auto bounding reason for it? Or it might
be there is some detail about how the bounding works I don't yet
understand... :-)