POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : isosurface and max_gradient : Re: isosurface and max_gradient Server Time
28 Sep 2024 20:58:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: isosurface and max_gradient
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 5 May 2024 14:48:01
Message: <6637d461$1@news.povray.org>
On 5/5/24 06:07, kurtz le pirate wrote:
> Without changing the value of max_gradient (3e10) and just by adding the
> min() in my function, POV finds say : "The maximum gradient found was
>   4235539.500, but max_gradient of the isosurface was set to
> 30000001024.000...".

Alright. Though, that feels to me like too large a max gradient for the
min() approach! Let me try quickly here.

A truth with isosurface{}s, is that setting higher gradients tends to
find higher gradients. A reason is often rays glancing off, or just
catching, the far edges of shapes.

Another truth is that max gradients seen are not constant with respect
to incoming rays.

---
At 10 (Which for me looks OK. See attached image) I see:

The maximum gradient found was 13.001, but max_gradient of the
isosurface was set to 10.000. ...

---
At 1e5 (I don't have the patience for more on my little i3) I see:

The maximum gradient found was 18.814, but max_gradient of the
isosurface was set to 100000.000. ...

I'm unsure what's happening with your version of the scene to see the
much larger max gradient with min(). Maybe your bounding box is much
larger than it need be? I don't know.

I'm attaching my version of the scene. I used yuqk, but I don't think
I've changed anything in the solver which would account for difference
in max gradients seen.

Do you see differences between your scene and mine which might account
for the difference in max gradients? I'm willing to do the digging, if
you'll post your version of the scene. I'd like to understand what I'm
missing.

Bill P.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'tmp.png' (42 KB) Download 'tmp.pov.txt' (2 KB)

Preview of image 'tmp.png'
tmp.png