POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Allchin traction engine : Re: Allchin traction engine Server Time
20 May 2024 01:01:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Allchin traction engine
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 16 Mar 2024 04:11:47
Message: <65f55443@news.povray.org>
Op 16-3-2024 om 08:36 schreef Ton:
>> Op 16/03/2024 om 02:35 schreef Ton:
>>> And another one:
>>>
>> Musing: It must be great fun to drive such an engine! Especially
>> compared to modern cars...
>>
>> --
>> Thomas
>
> It will be hard work. You have to keep the fire going, the brake is a leather
> belt! Steering is with a chain around the front axle, no springs, and it is
> slow.
> Have you ever seen Fred Dibnah on his traction engine?

Oh yes! I am aware of the difficulties and I remember Fred Dibnah
indeed. However, that is all the (boy scout) fun, and you get an idea
about how things work and are controlled (or not). Modern cars are
convenient and comfortable, but they have become too complex to be
understood by us, simple mortals. My 2CV was the last car I thought I
understood and could repair myself (to a certain degree); but that is
something from far back in the 20th century already and is a completely
different story...

--
Thomas