POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Reservations : Re: Reservations Server Time
9 May 2024 15:20:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Reservations
From: Alain Martel
Date: 10 Mar 2024 10:11:21
Message: <65edbf89$1@news.povray.org>
Le 2024-03-08 à 12:57, s.day a écrit :
> "Chris R" <car### [at] comcastnet> wrote:
>> This is an update to the "Interior Brick Scene".  I moved the point of view back
>> a bit to see more of the room.  A bunch of the models were updated, including
>> the spilled champagne on the table.
>>
>> This was about a 2 1/2 day render on my laptop, and does not include any
>> radiosity.  I tried doing adding in radiosity earlier and the render rate
>> dropped to the under 100 PPM, which means it would take weeks to finish.  There
>> are a lot of light sources in the room, so maybe radiosity wouldn't add much to
>> the scene anyway.  Also, with the rough surfaces on the brick walls, I find that
>> I have to do a lot of tuning to get around radiosity artifacts.
>>
>> Anyway, I may do some renders from different points of view, and the letter
>> sitting on the napkin ring needs some tweaking so you can tell better what it
>> is, but I'm pretty happy over all with the results.
>>
>> -- Chris R
>
> Just checking that you do know about saving radiosity data with basic textures
> (or even basic objects) and no anti-aliasing etc then doing a 2nd pass of the
> render where you load the radiosity data/turn on the proper textures etc.
>
> I have in several cases done a radiosity render where I swap out my isosurfaces
> for box/sphere etc (where the isosurface is not too deformed from a box. I
> imagine this would work OK for your bricks.
>
> On an image note, looks a lot better, all looks in perspective now, I do think
> the wall joining the floor would be improved by a skirting board.

Now, with a combination of the no_radiosity, no_image, no_shadow and
no_reflection, it can be done in one step.

Make the complex object have the no_radiosity attribute so that the
radiosity ignore it entirely.
Then, have the simplified object have no_image no_shadow no_reflection
attributes so that you don't see it directly or in reflection and it
don't cast any shadow.

Here, placing a plane with a simple brick pattern just on front of the
brick wall should do the trick.