POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : image mapping : Re: image mapping Server Time
9 May 2024 13:50:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: image mapping
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 1 Mar 2024 11:08:38
Message: <65e1fd86$1@news.povray.org>
On 2/29/24 13:36, Bald Eagle wrote:
>> after two days of absence, I find your example... and what example !
>> on first reading, I understood nothing, but I'm going to peel it back a
>> bit more.
> He's just got the uv-mapping data hardwired into the object definition.

:-)

I'm always overwhelmed on initially seeing more than the simplest code
from others! My own old code too, truth be told.

I'm aiming for the scene I posted to be a shipped example in the next
release. As I've added more comments, I picked up a couple more typos
(*)... None affected the result, but they certainly hurt the clarity of
the example. The next release of yuqk will have this code with
additional comments - and I hope no remaining mistakes - should you want
to wait to 'peel'.

(*) - f_elliptical_sphrswp(...,-90,-90...) should have read '+90,-90'.
The first value is an initial starting position for the sphere sweep and
the only values allowed are left handed rotations of [0.0...360.0) so
the implementation took the -90 as abs(-90) or +90, despite what I typed...

---

What Bill W says is true. Conceptually, it's just user directed,
piecemeal, uv mapping in play here - another form of what you were
trying in fact.

In yuqk, generally, I've been pushing the code toward more ways to paint
shapes - often using other shapes. The inbuilt f_path() function in yuqk
is as much about painting CSG shapes, as it is about having a new way to
set up isosurface shapes (which can also paint themselves).

The 'list_object' pattern new to yuqk is conceptually an internal
implementation of Matthew Goulet's / Blue Herring's 'multiobj.inc' from
the currently offline, but being worked upon, object-collection
(lib.povray.org).

Yuqk's inbuilt f_elliptical_sphrswp() is conceptually similar to Bruno
Cabasson's elliptic_torus.pov.

Some of yuqk's density_file interpolation extensions are for playing
with 3D painting of objects. Ideas related to SDL proximity pattern
implementations of years past (Edouard Poor?).

Yuqk's new 'pattern_modifiers' keyword is about capturing complex
spatial manipulations which can then be accessed to keep textures,
function defined shapes, and CSG-shapes aligned / matched. The aim is
texturing in simpler 3D space and shapes ahead of spacial changes /
deformations - and having it all track correctly for a final result.
This an extension of capturing transforms in the same manner.

Anyhow. It's true a lot of what looks new / complicated in yuqk is just
what others have taken runs at long ago in a different, perhaps
extended, form.

(The user_defined{} bit is, of course, clipka's work already in v3.8
beta 2 / v4.0)

Bill P.