POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Transparent Round_Box has many artifacts : Re: Transparent Round_Box has many artifacts Server Time
18 May 2024 08:37:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Transparent Round_Box has many artifacts
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 23 Feb 2024 16:41:59
Message: <65d91127$1@news.povray.org>
On 2024-02-23 05:38 (-4), ceving wrote:
> I tried to create a transparent cylinder with spherical ends. I used Round_Box,
> but I get many strange artifacts. I am not sure why. Can anybody explain why or
> how I can produce this object in another way?

Round_Cylinder() doesn't solve the problem; I tried it with UseMerge =
true, and that caused the object to vanish entirely.  But using UseMerge
= true with Round_Box() got rid of the artifacts.

I have created a set of macros that avoids redundant spheres and cylinders:

  https://github.com/CousinRicky/POV-RoundEdge/releases

Macros RE_Box() and RE_Cylinder will both work for this object, using
UseMerge = true.

I don't normally give advice that asked (I prefer to let new users deal
with problems one at a time), but Alain is correct about assumed_gamma 1.

However, I disagree with a blanket statement about rgbt vs. srgbt.  For
your particular example, it makes no difference, but the truth is that
srgbt is more likely to give you the colors that you expect, regardless
of your assumed_gamma setting. This is a whole bed of weeds that you
need to understand before taking advice blindly.