POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Progress on anniversary scene : Progress on anniversary scene Server Time
9 May 2024 08:01:14 EDT (-0400)
  Progress on anniversary scene
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 10 Feb 2024 16:36:02
Message: <65c7ec42@news.povray.org>
Of the 4 unfinished elements that were part of my POV-Ray 30th
anniversary tribute scene, 3 have been published: DeskLamp, RC3Wood, and
ShapeOfTheDay.

Unfortunately, there are a couple of lighting problems that showed up in
the interaction between DeskLamp and ShapeOfTheDay.  Most obviously, the
caustics are out of control.  More subtly, the light bulb emission is
too low; this can be seen as the dark spot in the reflection of the lamp
at the lower right corner of the wood block.  I have not figured out
what the problems are.

Image povray_30th_anniversary.20230605.jpg was rendered right after I
completed RC3Wood, and that is when the caustics bug first manifested.
This bug has diminished the usefulness of ShapeOfTheDay with refractive
and, to a lesser extent, metallic objects, but there are workarounds.
The easiest is to use one of the outdoor settings, which don't use DeskLamp.

An indoor workaround for image povray_30th_anniversary.20240207.jpg was
possible because I rendered it with separate photons and radiosity
passes.  For the photons pass, I used Declare=sotd_Quality=0, which
de-implements the lamp fixture, then re-enabled the lamp for the
radiosity passes.

The new image applied my light bleeding technique.  It is noticeably
darker than the 2021 render; I do not yet know why this is.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'povray_30th_anniversary.20230605.jpg' (423 KB) Download 'povray_30th_anniversary.20240207.jpg' (261 KB)

Preview of image 'povray_30th_anniversary.20230605.jpg'
povray_30th_anniversary.20230605.jpg

Preview of image 'povray_30th_anniversary.20240207.jpg'
povray_30th_anniversary.20240207.jpg