POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : B-DNA : Re: B-DNA - testing the macro Server Time
20 May 2024 01:42:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: B-DNA - testing the macro
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 10 Feb 2024 03:12:06
Message: <65c72fd6$1@news.povray.org>
Op 9-2-2024 om 13:33 schreef Bald Eagle:

>> 2) Point 1 is crucial to define/calculate the target triangle. It is
>> *not* defined from the origin but from the initial triangle.
>>
>> 3) All apices from the triangle have to be translated by an identical
>> vector value. If not, you may have interesting surprises, mostly
>> additional rotations to the object. However, those are difficult to
>> control from the onset if used on purpose.
>
> Right.  The macro takes your exact triangle, and moves it from right where it
> is, to exactly where it would be if you moved it there with some unknown
> combinations of rotations and translations.

Yes, that works very straightforward indeed.

> I did wonder what would happen if I jimmied some of the target triangle
> coordinates, and yes, the triangles got moved - but I have yet to quantify
> exactly how.

There are some unknown (to me) issues there which I want to delve deeper
into, as for instance those making the object rotate around one or more
axis, as I wrote earlier, under comment 3. It might be a powerful,
additional, feature if we understand how and under what conditions, it
can be used in a controlled way.

--
Thomas