POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : On the #version scene language directive. : Re: On the #version scene language directive. Server Time
19 May 2024 17:54:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: On the #version scene language directive.
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 7 Feb 2024 08:38:07
Message: <65c387bf$1@news.povray.org>
On 1/29/24 07:00, William F Pokorny wrote:
> Unfortunately, it looks like the ini / flag defaulting isn't completely
> there today code wise (the default isn't set correctly(a)). However, I
> think the ini / flag solution should be the path going forward for v4.0.
> I intend to adopt the approach for future releases of the yuqk fork.

See related discussion about assumed_gamma and version settings at:

https://news.povray.org/povray.beta-test/thread/%3C65bebb56%241%40news.povray.org%3E/

Status update. In the yuqk fork the default version is now v3.8 and it
gets set ahead of the parsing with ini version=, flag +mv or v3.8 gets
defaulted as the version at that pre-parsing stage.

I opted not to drastically modify how the scene description language
(SDL) #version / version works. While parsing a scene, #version is
mostly about switching the version defaults(a) and parsing behavior.

(a) - Unless the default{} block has been used in which the version
default switching part stops working. (The yuqk fork still plans to
remove the default{} block)

The exception is the very last #version seen will still sometimes affect
output gamma handling too where assumed_gamma is not set anywhere in the
file. However, unlike recent, official releases, yuqk requires the ini /
flag stage, version align even where no ini / flag setting used. In
other words, now in yuqk, a scene where the last #version was v3.5 will
not turn off output gamma handling unless the executable is run with
+mv3.5. The ini / flag version becomes the arbiter of what output gamma
handling gets done.

For v4.0 the approach is not the cleanest possible. With v4.0 maybe two
version settings - or just drop the backward compatibility and fix
assumed_gamma and output gamma handling so 'version' isn't tangled in
that bit.

Bill P.