POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : v3.8 beta 2. Some inconsistent gamma defaulting. : v3.8 beta 2. Some inconsistent gamma defaulting. Server Time
18 May 2024 16:55:38 EDT (-0400)
  v3.8 beta 2. Some inconsistent gamma defaulting.
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 3 Feb 2024 17:16:54
Message: <65bebb56$1@news.povray.org>
As I work to understand the existing version handling with the idea of
the ini / flag mechanism defaulting up front in the yuqk fork to v3.8,
I've run across inconsistencies in how the version / gamma defaulting is
being done in v3.8 beta 2.

The short of it is if you specify an initial version and assumed_gamma
value things are OK I think - this the c.pov file.

With yuqk, I'm less concerned with pre-v3.8 compatibility - so I
probably won't chase all of inconsistencies highlighted below.

Roughly, the code is is taking the ini / flag setting as most important
setting of version with respect to non-specified gamma - until it
doesn't. Further, the initial #version in the scene file doesn't seem to
mean that much with respect to non-specified gamma handling - until it does.

Bill P.

Create the following four files:

// a.pov file
#version 3.7;
// global_settings { assumed_gamma 1.0 }
//...
#version 3.5;
sphere { 0, 1 }

// b.pov file
// #version 3.7;
// global_settings { assumed_gamma 1.0 }
//...
#version 3.5;
sphere { 0, 1 }

// c.pov file
#version 3.7;
global_settings { assumed_gamma 1.0 }
//...
#version 3.5;
sphere { 0, 1 }

// d.pov file
#version 3.5;
// global_settings { assumed_gamma 1.0 }
//...
#version 3.7;
sphere { 0, 1 }
---

Running v3.8 beta 2 with the commands:

povray a.pov   (??? The leading version setting is 3.7)
------------
Parse Warning: assumed_gamma not specified, so gamma_correction
is turned off for compatibility with this pre POV-Ray v3.7 scene.
See the documentation for more details.

povray b.pov
------------
Parse Warning: assumed_gamma not specified, so gamma_correction
is turned off for compatibility with this pre POV-Ray v3.7 scene.
See the documentation for more details.

povray c.pov
------------
<No warnings>

povray d.pov   (??? We only ended at version 3.7...)
------------
Possible Parse Error: assumed_gamma not specified in this POV-Ray
v3.7 or later scene. Future versions of POV-Ray may consider this
a fatal error. To avoid this warning, explicitly specify
'assumed_gamma 1.0' in the global_settings section. See the
documentation for more details.

povray a.pov +mv.3.7
--------------------
Parse Warning: assumed_gamma not specified, so gamma_correction
is turned off for compatibility with this pre POV-Ray v3.7 scene.
See the documentation for more details.
(And then after bounding completes, the following happens...)
Warning: A version of 3.7 or greater was specified in an INI file
or on the command-line, but the scene finished parsing with a
#version of 3.6x or earlier and without assumed_gamma set. Output
gamma correction is being turned on as per the v3.7 default using
an assumed_gamma default of 1.0, rather than left off (which was
the v3.6.x and earlier default), because the INI file or
command-line specified version directive takes precedence.

povray b.pov +mv.3.7
--------------------
Parse Warning: assumed_gamma not specified, so gamma_correction
is turned off for compatibility with this pre POV-Ray v3.7 scene.
See the documentation for more details.
(And then after bounding completes, the following happens...)
Warning: A version of 3.7 or greater was specified in an INI file
or on the command-line, but the scene finished parsing with a
#version of 3.6x or earlier and without assumed_gamma set. Output
gamma correction is being turned on as per the v3.7 default using
an assumed_gamma default of 1.0, rather than left off (which was
the v3.6.x and earlier default), because the INI file or
command-line specified version directive takes precedence.

povray c.pov +mv.3.7
<No warnings>

povray d.pov +mv3.7  (Should do the override too, but it doesn't)