POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : B-DNA : Re: B-DNA Server Time
20 May 2024 01:20:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: B-DNA
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 1 Feb 2024 08:42:54
Message: <65bb9fde$1@news.povray.org>
Op 1-2-2024 om 13:42 schreef Bald Eagle:

> "A ritualistic purpose seems indicated."
>
> "it is completely unknown what the object represented or was used for, or in
>> what context, religious or other."
>
> I always find these ritual/religious explanations tiresome - Look around the
> modern world, and try to even count the number of knick-knacks, baubles,
> bric-a-brac, curios, ornaments, souvenirs, and trinkets people buy and
> accumulate - all of which have zero ritualistic or religious purpose or meaning.

Those /are/ 'ritualistic' in most cases my friend! ;-)

> It could have been a _designer_ dodecahedron that was very trendy, and only the
> wealthiest could afford then, to flaunt their status.

Quite possible indeed.

> If it was found with hordes, maybe the holes were used to measure coins to
> detect coin-shaving.  I have solid state electronic scales and an electronic
> device to test the purity and composition of gold and silver alloys.  None of
> which make any sense to a future civilization once the batteries were long gone.
> Granted, the alloy tester is $1000, but the scale is a cheapo mass-market thing
> that has no real inherent value, but is only used in proximity to coins, etc.

the batteries are certainly gone for this one!

> Maybe it was tabletop sign, to indicate membership in a trade guild.

I like that one.

> Maybe it was a tip jar.  : >
<grin> Too many holes through where the tip could be lost.

> It could be an ancient "Challenge Coin" and the holes were to hold shotglasses.
> Maybe it held incense or pencils or quills.

no shotglasses at the time... perhaps shotgoblets.

> Perhaps it's a loupe, and the glass lenses are long gone.  The knobs at the
> vertices held the device the proper distance from the surface being observed.

No. too far fetched. I don't think the Romans had lenses at all.

> Maybe it's a 12-sided die, and was used for gambling >
those things are generally 10 to 15 cm in diameter, cast in bronze...
the knobs get in the way.

> Maybe it was used by scammers to do zodiac astrological fortune telling.

Now, that is a thought...

> Perhaps it held an oil lamp, either for illumination, or as a distant forerunner
> of the USB coffee mug heater.  Or a camp stove.

Hmmmm...

> Maybe it's a mandrel or a template for assembling something - perhaps with cord,
> and the holes are for aligning the loops of the developing knots.

well...

> It could be a neckerchief slide or similar fastening device.

..needing a strong neck indeed ;-)

> Has anyone blown into it?  Maybe it's a whistle.

You can spit into it, but blow...? makes no sense.

> Perhaps we can only know its true purpose once it's been rendered sufficiently.

Yes, but certainly when discovered still more of them in different contexts.

> CSG-Dodecahedron challenge!  Now for a cool Roman render rig as a backdrop!

Yep!

--
Thomas