POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : <no subject> : Re: <no subject> Server Time
13 May 2024 11:17:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: <no subject>
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 29 Jan 2024 11:59:08
Message: <65b7d95c@news.povray.org>
On 2024-01-28 18:18 (-4), Bald Eagle wrote:

> I'm also NOT enamored by POV-Ray's blob function, and might see about working
> out something with functions and an isosurface to see if I can get a smoother,
> more pleasing result.

The tutorial has an isosurface technique that I am not enamored with,
but you might want to try it anyway:

https://wiki.povray.org/content/Documentation:Tutorial_Section_3.2#Combining_isosurface_functions

I published an alternative isosurface function RE_fn_Blob2() in
RoundEdge.  See the user manual for how to use it:

  https://github.com/CousinRicky/POV-RoundEdge

I once came up with a couple of trig-based formulas, but I haven't
looked at them in almost 20 years.  If I find that they eliminate 1st
derivative discontinuities, I might resurrect them.