POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Precision problems? : Re: Precision problems? Server Time
10 May 2024 17:23:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Precision problems?
From: Ilya Razmanov
Date: 26 Jan 2024 14:02:26
Message: <65b401c2@news.povray.org>
On 26.01.2024 20:54, kurtz le pirate wrote:

> Assuming that the first point of the prism is good : <-0.5,0.25>

Assume object is supposed to be centered at 0,0 and have one of the
sizes 1.0; in this case - inner diameter 1.0. That gives us inner radius
0.5 and outer radius 2*0.5/sqrt(3), that is that very "revsqrtof3" in
source text.

As Cousin Ricky guessed, I, being a hodmandod ("Sam, is this a real
word?"), instead of revsqrtof3/2 wrote 0.5/2, that is, 0.25. That's the
only reason of the problem - I messed inner and outer. Since the error
is pretty irrational (even more irrational than sqrt(3)), I'm unlikely
to find it ever. Fortunately people here found the problem.

Oh, and why someone relatively sane may want a hexagonal prism have an
inner diameter of 1.0? To do pictures like attached easily, of course.

Ilyich the Toad

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'p6.png' (320 KB)