POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Logo Planet (wip) : Re: Logo Planet + triplanar mapping (wip) Server Time
19 May 2024 23:33:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Logo Planet + triplanar mapping (wip)
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 22 Jan 2024 02:21:16
Message: <65ae176c$1@news.povray.org>
Op 22/01/2024 om 02:10 schreef Samuel B.:
>> Op 19-1-2024 om 00:54 schreef Samuel B.:
>>> It's coming right along! I like the idea of the moon-textured P exterior around
>>> the planet.
>>>
>> Thanks Sam, yes, this triplanar mapping is what was needed here.
>> Different little ideas I got at night while not sleeping I want to
>> try/implement into the next version.
>
> What is it with not being able to sleep as well over time? Less endogenous
> melatonin?

Oh no! nothing as dramatic! :-) I sleep very well indeed (eight to nine
hours on an average night) which, at my age, is rather exceptional.
However, and I think that many experience the same, I may wake up at
night with an idea/solution for something I have been working on during
the previous day(s).

>>> I forgot to mention it (and you probably already know this), but triplanar
>>> mapping doesn't play well with hard edges. I can't really see a problem in your
>>> image due to the shadows on the inside of the round shape, but discontinuities
>>> are likely there.
>>>
>> No problem here and, possibly, not even a real problem if visible: I can
>> imagine that craters would not line-up over hard edges like here.
>
> Right, that makes sense. The only way that would happen is if the impacts blew
> holes through the edges, but making that work wouldn't be easy...

Correct, but I am not modelling the Real World, as you probably may have
noticed by now... :-)

>> I have not decided yet if the inside of the crescent should not get a different
>> texture though...
>
> Like what? Something half molten? Or crumbly?

Not sure yet. The ideas are in flux...

--
Thomas