POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : A combined cell pattern : Re: A combined cell pattern Server Time
8 May 2024 15:50:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A combined cell pattern
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 20 Jan 2024 03:48:30
Message: <65ab88de$1@news.povray.org>
On 1/19/24 06:23, William F Pokorny wrote:
> As a function?

Hit me while getting coffee this morning I didn't answer your second
question.

You can turn any pattern into a function of your own with something like:

#declare FnCrackle = function { pattern { crackle form <-1,1,0> ... }

The bit wrapped in pattern{} there can be any sort of valid pattern
specification as you'd set up for *_map use.

When you use something like 'f_crackle() in the official releases of
POV-Ray, what your are really getting is a shipped user defined function
coded at the bottom of functions.inc - and these are very simple
implementations like:

#declare f_crackle = function { pattern {crackle} }

with no provided ability to set options(a).

Bill P.

(a) - This one of the shortcomings I've worked some to address in my
yuqk fork / v4.0 suggestions. While I've not gotten to crackle, there
is, for example, a true inbuilt f_agate() implementation which makes
available all the options of the inbuilt pattern 'agate' as parameters
(and a few additional options).