POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Triplanar Mapping : Re: Triplanar Mapping Server Time
20 May 2024 08:54:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Triplanar Mapping
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 16 Jan 2024 11:19:50
Message: <65a6aca6$1@news.povray.org>
Op 16-1-2024 om 16:02 schreef Bald Eagle:
> I gave it a go, since I had to visualize the rotations, lest it bother me for
> the rest of the day.  I use a helper macro to choose the waveform, and cubic
> seemed to work really nicely.  I'd suggest trying it with different images to
> see if the smoothness is a result of just using one test image.
>
> Rotating the superellipsoid doesn't seem to have too much effect - the line
> artefacts might be more to do with the linear travertine image?
>
> - BW

Thanks Bill! I gave it a go and I noted the following:

1) your code seems to respond better to object rotation (before calling
the texture macro).

2) it appears that in Sam's code (but also in your code) rotating the
object */after/* the texture call generates increasing horizontal
lines/deformations (0*y rotation shows no linear deformation; 90*y
rotation shows maximum linear deformation). Rotations through other axes
show similar behaviour.

3) so it appears (to me) that the texture does not follow the object
rotation. Why this is is a mystery to me and it is the first time I
witness such behaviour indeed.

--
Thomas