POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Logo Planet (wip) : Re: Logo Planet (wip) Server Time
8 May 2024 22:38:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Logo Planet (wip)
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 12 Jan 2024 03:48:38
Message: <65a0fce6$1@news.povray.org>
Op 12-1-2024 om 04:00 schreef Samuel B.:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> Your render looks good! It feels like it should be on an album cover for
> something featured on Hearts of Space :D
>
> Are the craters procedural, or a texture map? I've been wondering how one might
> make procedural craters and your post is making me think about it again...

You are not far wrong ;-) I had one of those covers from the SF magazine
Analog in mind (somewhen 1966 - 1972) which I was reading at that time
(does not make me feel younger...) and I have half a mind to continue in
that particular vein.

The craters are generated by an uv_mapped bump_map. As I rarely do
uv_mapping directly on primitive POV objects like here, I got some
surprises which I need to investigate further. I shall certainly be back
here with some questions. The documentation only gave me partial, for my
purpose unsatisfactory answers.

Procedural craters might be an interesting option indeed. No idea at
present on how to go about it...

--
Thomas