POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : Unexpected select () results in both 3 and 4 arguments versions : Re: Unexpected select () results in both 3 and 4 arguments versions Server Time
10 May 2024 10:20:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Unexpected select () results in both 3 and 4 arguments versions
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 30 Dec 2023 14:08:22
Message: <65906aa6$1@news.povray.org>
On 2023-12/29 23:06 (-4), Bald Eagle wrote:
> "Tor Olav Kristensen" <tor### [at] TOBEREMOVEDgmailcom> wrote:
>
>> But, but, but - you are using a "fractional loop iterator" also here.
>
> UGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGgggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
>
> And I was just explaining floating point woes to the stepson the other day.
>
> I think I need a plaque on my monitor that reads:
>
> "THOU SHALT NOT USE FRACTIONS"
>
> :(
>
> I'll just multiply everything by 1/Step and hopefully that will get everything
> to work out.  What a PITA.

I see these FP glitches often enough that I will always endure that
PITA.  See for example macro ILight__Integrate() in:

https://github.com/CousinRicky/POV-IntegrateLight/blob/main/integratelight.inc

I view it as just a part of the game, like tuning a guitar, or
collimating a reflector telescope, or using my turn signal.