POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : Is the following cutaway_textures bug commonly understood? : Re: Is the following cutaway_textures bug commonly understood? Server Time
13 May 2024 06:56:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Is the following cutaway_textures bug commonly understood?
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 18 Dec 2023 16:55:26
Message: <6580bfce$1@news.povray.org>
On 12/18/23 14:53, William F Pokorny wrote:
> I'll dig a more into the code - really not much of it in truth. There is
> a dynamic_cast used in one of the conditional test which is why I wanted
> to be sure windows binaries behaved the same way.
>
> ---
> There is this bit too in the documentation which I don't currently see
> any code for:
>
> "If the parent object is a CSG of objects with different textures, then
> the textures on overlapping parts will be averaged together."
>
> but maybe somehow 'averaging' happens... The test case in this thread
> isn't set up to trigger it. Guess, I'll need to create more complex
> cases. My guess at the moment is we'll get, not 'averaging', but
> multiple individual textures (including any texture lists) from the
> parent's component parts.

Using more or less the same set up, but with union{}s in the
intersection and difference.

With cutaway_textures where the intersection{} and difference{} blocks
themselves don't have textures, the results are different than when the
input is not the CSG union. :-(

And in the difference case I now do see some sort of 'maybe averaging'
happening though I'm unsure of what textures/texture-components; nor do
I have a clue how it's happening internal to POV-Ray at the moment.

The testing combinations explode in number from here :-(

I wonder if I can make intersections and differences using
cutaway_textures without a dedicated block texture illegal in yuqk and
just walk away carrying my bag of blissful ignorance...

Bill P.

Intersection                    | Difference
------------                    | ------------

        CSG       CSG            |        CSG       CSG
BCRG   Surface   Surface        | BCRG   Surface   Surface
-----|---------|----------|---| | -----|---------|----------|---|
0000   DfltPig   DfltPig    =   | 0000   DfltPig   DfltPig    = ==
0001   Green     DfltPig    =   | 0001   Green     DfltPig    = ==
0010   DfltPig   Red        =   | 0010   DfltPig   Red        = ==
0011   Green     Red        =   | 0011   Green     Red        = ==
0100   DfltPig   DfltPig    =   | 0100   DfltPig   DfltPig    = ==
0101   Green     DfltPig    .   | 0101   Green     Gre+Ave    . ??
0110   DfltPig   Red        =   | 0110   DfltPig   Red        = ??
0111   Green     Red        =   | 0111   Green     Red        = ==
1000   Blue      Blue       =   | 1000   Blue      Blue       = ==
1001   Green     Blue       =   | 1001   Green     Blue       = ==
1010   Blue      Red        =   | 1010   Blue      Red        = ==
1011   Green     Red        =   | 1011   Green     Red        = ==
1100   Blue      Blue       =   | 1100   Blue      Blue       = ==
1101   Green     Blue       =   | 1101   Green     Blue       = ==
1110   Blue      Red        =   | 1110   Blue      Red        = ==
1111   Green     Red        =   | 1111   Green     Red        = ==

(*) - The Red, Green and Blue in the table above are really similar
unique colors for each element of the union{}s.