POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : workbench_train_02.png : Re: workbench_train_02.png Server Time
20 May 2024 08:19:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: workbench_train_02.png
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 14 Dec 2023 10:30:20
Message: <657b1f8c$1@news.povray.org>
On 12/14/23 06:37, Bald Eagle wrote:
> I have noticed that my quickie scenes that I use to puzzle out various things
> look a lot dimmer and grayer compared to the way they used to, and I need to
> change my default finish to diffuse 1.

The dimmer bit is probably that the finish default for ambient was
changed from 0.1 to 0.0 relatively late during v3.8 development. With
assumed_gamma 1.0 the older default ambient of 0.1 was far too large. It
should be something like 0.006 - if you want results as affected by the
ambient finish default to act similar to the 0.1 at the old
assumed_gamma of 2.2.

The greyer could be a lot of things including a little of the ambient
default change above. The _maps with respect to color blend somewhat
differently at an assumed_gamma of 1.0 than 2.2 - this a reason clipka
added the blend_mode and blend_gamma options.

Bill P.