POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : workbench_train_02.png : Re: workbench_train_02.png Server Time
20 May 2024 05:04:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: workbench_train_02.png
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 14 Dec 2023 02:39:34
Message: <657ab136$1@news.povray.org>
On 12/13/23 20:31, Cousin Ricky wrote:
> On 2023-12-13 20:16(-4), William F Pokorny wrote:
>>
>> In a related and FWIW category, how many know the following is a valid
>> way to specify a texture?
>>
>> #declare Sph00 = sphere { 0, 0.7 }
>>
>> #declare P = pigment { rgb <1,0.6,0.3> }
>> #declare N = normal { quilted 0.5 scale 1/3 }
>> #declare F = finish { emission 1/3 }
>>
>> object { Sph00 texture { P N F  }  } // Aspect updates by ID type!
>
> I'm not even going to touch that!  Why tempt fate--or the parser?

:-) The method was news to me too. A detail which popped out while
looking at making interior_texture{} support more consistent with
texture{}.

Though it rang an old bell. I think this form is something I'd seen in
some SDL years ago where I didn't understand how what was coded worked.

I expect this method of update has been used as much by accident as by
intent. Use by someone forgetting - or accidentally deleting - a
pigment{}, normal{} or finish{} wrap of an ID. It is a short way to
specify texture aspects I guess - especially if you don't want to pick
up any part of the 'current' default texture.

Bill P.