POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Malfatti Circles : Re: Malfatti Circles Server Time
9 May 2024 10:05:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Malfatti Circles
From: kurtz le pirate
Date: 8 Dec 2023 08:55:59
Message: <6573206f$1@news.povray.org>
On 04/12/2023 20:16, Bald Eagle wrote:
> kurtz le pirate <kur### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>
>> Malfatti circles !!!
>> Complicated but very interesting problem ...
>
> Yeah - while working on the Japanese kumiko triangles, I ran across some
> related/linked work from an artist:
>
> https://www.flickr.com/photos/quasimondo/
>
> Then I just recently, and randomly, stumbled across Stephane Laurent's work, who
> has apparently been doing some amazing work in POV-Ray, R, Python, JS3, and
> Asymptote.
> https://www.youtube.com/@stla3716/videos
> https://www.r-bloggers.com/
>
> With the way links and references get lost, and search results evaporate, I
> needed to grab it while it was there and port it to POV-Ray before it
> disappeared.
> Porting from R was only minorly confusing in a few places, and of course, I had
> a typo in my code, which was driving me nuts, and the circle centers (the part
> that has been holding me back from coding it myself) are located with ....
> trilinear coordinates!  I started having flashbacks.
>
> It would be nice to figure out how to translate it all into functions so that it
> could be applied to the triangular pigment patterns....
>
> - BW

Hi,

With a few head-scratchers. I used my "basic" method and classic
geometry : normals, parallels, intersections ...

Still some debugging to do to find right parallels : uppper ou lower the
line.

I don't think it's possible to turn them into functions that can be used
as reasons for completing the plan. But who knows ?

ps : yes, trilinear coordinates is a nightmare ;)

--
Kurtz le pirate
Compagnie de la Banquise

Post a reply to this message