POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : workbench_train_02.png : Re: workbench_train_02.png Server Time
9 May 2024 08:15:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: workbench_train_02.png
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 7 Dec 2023 03:37:39
Message: <65718453@news.povray.org>
Op 29-11-2023 om 16:04 schreef Alain Martel:
> If the metal is to have a varnish coat, add a second mostly to fully
> transparent pigment layer above the metallic one. Add an interior
> statement for the IOR : interior{ ior 1.5 } And use the fresnel
> attribute : reflection{ 1 fresnel }.
>
> That way, at high angle, you'll see almost only the metallic surface,
> but, at grazing angles, you get the fresnel reflection dominating.
> Tried that and compared with actual metals, brass actually, coated with
> a varnish, and the result matched my physical samples.

I probably made a mistake somewhere, but I have a problem with this. The
object looses its shadow in my code (see the egg in attached image).

This is the code used for the egg finish:

ovus { 1.00, 0.65
   pigment {rgb <0.4, 0.9, 0.4>}
   pigment {rgbt <0.9, 0.1, 0.1, 0.99>} //varnish coating!
   finish {
     metallic
     diffuse 0.0
     specular 0.80
     roughness 1/20
     reflection {0.90 fresnel metallic}
   }
   interior {ior 1.5}
   scale 0.5
   translate <0, 0.5, 0>

specular / roughness can be left out without visible changes btw.

Thanks for any light on this!

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'am_metallic finish.png' (297 KB)

Preview of image 'am_metallic finish.png'
am_metallic finish.png