POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : billboard tint : Re: billboard tint Server Time
9 May 2024 16:03:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: billboard tint
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 3 Nov 2023 17:45:52
Message: <65456a10$1@news.povray.org>
On 11/3/23 16:44, Mike Miller wrote:
> I'll mess around with it a bit more before giving up.

Alain just mentioned media -and his opening comment makes me think I'm
assuming the billboards position incorrectly...

With media - where we almost always use contained media these days - we
sometimes forget we can still implement global media.

It might be worth a try in your case. As long as the billboards have
enough depth POV-Ray can track whether inside or outside the billboards,
but not a depth appreciable enough(a) to greatly affect the media
results - I think it might work.

(a) Try to stick with more perpendicular billboards with respect to the
initial camera rays.

You'll need a complete scene backstop shape at "media fog" end effect
distance. In other words, you cannot have only 'background' or a
'skysphere', global media needs rays which eventually terminate
somewhere with a final intersection.

Bill P.