POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Direct stochastic tiling : Re: Direct stochastic tiling Server Time
2 Jun 2024 15:16:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Direct stochastic tiling
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 3 Nov 2023 08:35:39
Message: <6544e91b$1@news.povray.org>
On 11/2/23 18:19, Bald Eagle wrote:
> I think this would be a nice basic stock pattern for POV-Ray.
> I set the spiral turn spacing to twice the line thickness to get a "maximally
> dense" spiral.

I'm interested - FWIW. :-)

Maybe 5-6 weeks back I started to dig more into our warp{} code. I'd
like to rework it all, including a bunch of hacks I have in that code.
Then stuff, and more stuff, and it's on the back burner of the stove
again...

One thing I'd like to do in yuqk is dump the two inbuilt spiral patterns
for more general, tapered spiral warping as one or more additional
options of the warp{} mechanism.

We have too f_spiral() - which has issues - as you well know. The
solutions to which, I believe, sit more with some sort of general
tapered warping capability.

Aside: We can today implement a limited form of the sort of spiral - I
think you're implementing - with a series of half arc functions (there
is too the new-ish list_object pattern in yuqk which could use the torus
or functions via coded isosurfaces(a) (inside tests)). This approach,
however, slows down significantly on the addition of each half arc.

(a) The inside test of 'isosurface shapes' is relatively fast when used
for object based patterns. It's just whether the function returns a
negative value or not at a given location. In fact, 'isosurface shapes
for inside test purposes' do not need to be good isosurfaces with
respect to being render-able as actual shapes!

Anyhow, I'm interested in seeing what code you work up.

Bill P.