POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I cannot set up Github 2FA! : Re: I cannot set up Github 2FA! Server Time
14 May 2024 03:56:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I cannot set up Github 2FA!
From: Chris Cason
Date: 8 Oct 2023 07:14:08
Message: <65228f00@news.povray.org>
On 8/10/2023 12:29, Cousin Ricky wrote:
> There doesn't seem to be a help link anywhere, and this problem doesn't
> show up in any FAQ, so I tried Googling, Binging, and DuckDuckGoing the
> problem.  The only suggestion I've seen is that the clocks of the phone
> and computer are out of sync.  It turned out mine were off by 2 seconds,
> but re-synchronizing them did not help.

I'm pretty familiar with TOTP (which is what you're using), having implemented it in
code for my day job. Generally speaking the codes are valid in 30 or 60-second blocks,
and implementers are encouraged to allow codes for the previous block as well as the
current to be valid to avoid cases where someone gets a totally valid code and types
it in then submits it, but in the interim the issuer changes to a new block. That's a
bad user experience so most sites don't do that.

So basically a difference of two seconds is totally unimportant and not the cause of
your problem.

> acknowledged to exist by either GitHub or the authenticator.  Have any
> GitHub users here set up 2FA successfully?  Did you have this problem?

Yes, I have and no I didn't.

How are you importing the master code? Via QR + camera or are you using the
manually-entered key? If only one, have you tried the other? Have you tried a
different authenticator program?

If you think the issue is with Github, try using one of the sites that allows you to
test TOTP, such as https://www.verifyr.com/en/otp/check (just enter junk in the label
and issuer fields). Import the generated key then test it using the same page. It
should work. If it does and you still can't get Github to work then that would be
puzzling.

-- Chris