POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : wierd behavior after compiling on Fedora 38 : Re: wierd behavior after compiling on Fedora 38 Server Time
2 Jun 2024 00:14:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: wierd behavior after compiling on Fedora 38
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 7 Oct 2023 10:10:24
Message: <652166d0$1@news.povray.org>
On 10/7/23 09:13, RSM wrote:
> William F Pokorny <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:

>> If yes, what worked might give me a hint or two as it would point toward
>> things I've fixed or change in the povr fork.
>>

> i tried the povr fork and make check works
> i did a make install and ran it against a scene i have
> i got this error:
>
> Copyright 1991-2023 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.
> Version 3.8.0-x.povr_96ed7ff3.unofficial
>    (g++ 13.2.1 @ x86_64-pc-linux-gnu)
> This is an unofficial version compiled by: RSM
>
> Dynamic optimizations:
>    CPU detected: AMD,SSE2,AVX,AVX2,FMA3
>    Noise generator: avx-generic (compiler-optimized)
>
> Declare=identifier: haswhoosh
> terminate called after throwing an instance of 'pov_base::Exception'
>    what():  User identifier using only a-z, 0-9 and _ characters.
> Aborted (core dumped)

By 'make check' works do you mean you see the biscuit scene?

On the parse error.

When configuring add the flag:

--disable-no-lc-identifiers

By default the povr fork doesn't allow lower case identifiers as it is
often the source of Scene Description Language confusion / problems.

--
I am bothered because your attempted run with the no lower case
identifier checking core dumped... I think it should be a handled exit

File 'lower.pov' line 2:
Parse Error:
#declare identifier 'abc' using only a-z, 0-9 and _ characters.
Fatal error in parser: Cannot parse input.
Render failed

Hmm. Maybe what you see happens if certain extra debugging is active...
My debug compile at the moment happens to use
--disable-no-lc-identifiers, so I don't have anything compiled this
instant to test the thought.

Bill P.

Bill P.