POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : wierd behavior after compiling on Fedora 38 : Re: wierd behavior after compiling on Fedora 38 Server Time
18 Jun 2024 14:14:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: wierd behavior after compiling on Fedora 38
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 7 Oct 2023 05:49:57
Message: <652129c5$1@news.povray.org>
On 10/2/23 08:06, RSM wrote:
> thank you for your suggestions

Did any of my suggestions work to solve the bounding issue?

If your answer is no, I have no further ideas for running v3.8 and would
need to try myself to compile in newer environments to see if I see what
you see with my povr fork.

If yes, what worked might give me a hint or two as it would point toward
things I've fixed or change in the povr fork.

(... a couple days away and thunderbird has changed... ;-) )

---
If you've not tried a 'make check' with the povr fork, one weak guess is
that the issue has to do with the boost::bind.

In the compile output you posted there were messages like:

"...
Please use <boost/bind/bind.hpp> + using namespace boost::placeholders,
or define BOOST_BIND_GLOBAL_PLACEHOLDERS to retain the current behavior.
..."

That message is a little different than what I 'remember' getting when I
defined BOOST_BIND_GLOBAL_PLACEHOLDERS in my povr build process back at
boost 1.74 to avoid the ugly compile time messages for something I
wasn't going to fix immediately. The bounding code uses boost::bind.

Further, in reading one of the C++ guru's blog's on some other topic a
year or more ago, I remember his making some comment on the side about
C++ itself having transitioning through a subtle incompatibility with
it's 'bind' feature - one that broke behavior with some existing builds.
If boost 1.78 has internally moved to C++'s bind, maybe POV-Ray v3.8 is
tripping over whatever the blog's mentioned bind issue was?

All close to a complete guess, but if you want to 'fish' and you've not
tried the povr fork's build, perhaps try defining
BOOST_BIND_GLOBAL_PLACEHOLDERS and do anther make check.

It should be you can just edit the 'config.h' file in your root build
directory after running ./configure so that it contains a line like:

#define BOOST_BIND_GLOBAL_PLACEHOLDERS /**/

Bill P.