POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : A povr fork test image for new dens_object pattern. : Re: A povr fork test image for new dens_object pattern. Server Time
20 May 2024 05:03:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A povr fork test image for new dens_object pattern.
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 8 Sep 2023 10:48:28
Message: <64fb343c$1@news.povray.org>
On 2023-09-07 18:33 (-4), Samuel B. wrote:

> I'll have to switch over to some flavor of Linux one of these days, since
> Microsoft is progressively making Windows worse in every way. (Bloat is probably
> the biggest issue. I suspect Windows uses too many resources... Currently, 44%
> of my 8GB of memory is being used, and I only have Firefox open! For some
> reason, several Edge instances are running, plus a bunch of other things. It's
> crazy.)

I don't know that switching would help.  While Microsoft does eat disk
space like candy, and I'm never one to discourage people from ditching
Windows, my GNU/Linux system shows 393 processes open.  Only a few dozen
at most are windows that I have open.  And Firefox is easily the
greediest app on my system.

Starting a fresh session shows 365 processes and 1.3 GiB memory used,
before I even open any apps.  Bloat just seems to be an inherent
property of most 21st century software.

But yeah, Edge does have a habit of popping up out of nowhere on Windows
systems.