POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : A method to plot histograms for patterns / functions. : Re: A method to plot histograms for patterns / functions. Server Time
20 May 2024 06:02:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A method to plot histograms for patterns / functions.
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 6 Sep 2023 11:15:29
Message: <64f89791$1@news.povray.org>
On 9/5/23 01:33, ingo wrote:
> William F Pokorny <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:
>> I'll play with this stuff more tomorrow.
>>

> Hah, I wrote these and the distribution macro's in rand.inc last century. The
> original include file also had macro's and scene for visualizations not unlike
> your images (i.i.r.c. ... last century).
>
> ingo

Ah, I knew you had a big hand in rand.inc, didn't know about (or at
perhaps remember... the histogram macro) :-). Suppose the need has been
around a long time too. I'd for years been using external tools, but a
few days ago I decided to code up something which better aligned with
what I wanted - all POV-Ray.

And Bill W., Thanks again for mentioning the histogram macro - it got me
thinking and I've finished now a couple re-writes and have one slightly
faster than an all SDL one, but both run in a few seconds as a rule. My
updated code will be part of the next, published povr fork tarball.

It's interesting what you see on cranking up the bin and sample counts.
Attached an image using 1 million samples and 8192 bins - some of the
quirks start to show (again wrinkles, noise generator 3) - though doubt
they matter too much practically.

Bill P.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments: