POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : A method to plot histograms for patterns / functions. : Re: A method to plot histograms for patterns / functions. Server Time
20 May 2024 07:51:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A method to plot histograms for patterns / functions.
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 4 Sep 2023 22:11:36
Message: <64f68e58$1@news.povray.org>
On 9/4/23 14:26, Bald Eagle wrote:
> Well, there's a histogram macro in math.inc
>
> Histogram(ValArr, Intervals): This macro declares a global, 2D array named
> HistogramArray. The first value in the array is the center of the interval/bin,
> the second the number of values in that interval.
>
> Parameters:
>
> ValArr = An array with values.
> Intervals = The desired number of intervals/bins.
>

> Not sure if that's what you were looking for.
>
> - BW

Thanks for the prompt! I was aware of it. In the povr fork it is located
in an include file called arraystatistics.inc almost completely
re-written by Tor Olav Kristensen back in mid 2021.

On seeing your post though, I immediately had the thought: "Ya know Bill
(the me version of Bill)..., you didn't code up anything using this
include file and compare performance."

Aside: I need a slightly modified version of the macro.

My thinking was anything mostly an all functions alternative would be
faster than a pure parser method. However, with some hacked, not quite
right, pure parser code just now - it looks like what I have coded is
running a lot (~10x) slower! I'll play with this stuff more tomorrow.

Bill P.