POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Re: The ghost of a box : Re: The ghost of a box Server Time
15 May 2024 12:58:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The ghost of a box
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 31 Jul 2023 02:31:00
Message: <64c75524$1@news.povray.org>
Op 30/07/2023 om 18:25 schreef jr:
> hi,

>>> disagree, frankly.  no one is "forced".  personally, I tend to visit a new URL
>>> in an "incognito" window, and if the first thing I see is a pop-up, I close the
>>> window, done.  fwiw I do think that companies need to up their "ethical game".
>>
>> Btw, Firefox has excellent extensions which suppress pop-ups, cookies,
>> and such. In addition, it has a privacy mode. I am almost never troubled
>> by those things.
>
> :-)  no FF (or TB) here.  with Chrome I choose to nuke all the stored stuff on
> browser exit/close; bg - I use one instance "permanently", with my Gmail tab,
> some POV-Ray and other reference tabs; I open a new "incognito" window ("privacy
> mode" will be similar I guess) to .. explore.  that leaves cookies I "approve
> of", like eg online banking, in place as the "permanent" window never closes.
> Chrome does have extensions for ad + pop-up "blocking" and such, too, though I
> don't use any.  I have some sympathy for CR's irateness (and no good reply), but
> suspect that your approach of using s/ware to .. defeat the nefarious :-) may
> have little impact wrt encouraging companies to change behaviour (eg to not
> simply store references to themselves and their affiliates "by default"), and
> perhaps further "stokes the arms race".  anyway, </> before it turns into a
> rant.
>
> (feeling a little too gregarious, must lie down.. ;-))
>

> regards, jr.

I understand. Nothing is entirely perfect in this world, so we have to
cope as best we can :-|  I have a subscription here to a non-profit
consumers journal for digital matters, and for years they warn about and
give help/advice about these things, particularly privacy. They are very
positive about FF and TB and somewhat neutral to negative about Chrome.
Google and MS are not really their friends were privacy is concerned
obviously...
Things I do additionally is regularly "nuke" (as you say) all the stored
cookies and such flotsam left behind by the eager watchers, and scan the
system for any remaining stuff. And - obviously again - I do not use nor
approach any of the social media (the POV-Ray ng's being the only
exceptions) nor do I buy if I can help it, online. I firmly believe that
only strict official regulation can restrict misuse and I certainly
approve of the European Parliament's actions, especially as the US in
particular does not seem to do much in that respect (but I may be wrong
of course). 'Free enterprise', liberalism, and even free speech, have
their (moral) limits.

--
Thomas