POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Bronze Age sword - take 2 : Re: Bronze Age sword - take 2 Server Time
20 May 2024 06:31:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bronze Age sword - take 2
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 19 Jul 2023 02:41:39
Message: <64b785a3@news.povray.org>
Op 18/07/2023 om 23:35 schreef Samuel B.:
>> Op 18-7-2023 om 00:58 schreef Samuel B.:
>>> That's one nice-looking handle/hilt. How was it modeled?
>>>

>> Thanks Sam. I based the shape first of all on the information given by
>> that article which started the project. The authors told and the
>> photographs showed the hilt to be octagonal in shape; however, looking
>> closely, I got the impression that the lower part around the blade was
>> flatter and without a pronounced octagonal shape, so - using Silo - I
>> modelled the hilt in two parts:
>>
>> The lower part below the torus-shaped ring as a flattened and deformed
>> cone with a flattened horizontal cylinder differenced from it to produce
>> the "claws".
>>
>> The upper part is based on an octagonal cylinder where the octagonal
>> faces are separated by creased edges which - after later subdivisions of
>> the object - produced the intended effect. This handle part is also
>> slightly flattened but less so than the lower part.
>>
>> The upper decorative part, is extruded from the octagonal handle and not
>> flattened.
>>
>> Finally, when I was sure I did not need to do any more serious work on
>> the shape, I just kept one quarter of the hilt (like the blade) for
>> export to .OBJ which I subdivided further in Poseray before exporting to
>> mesh2 files to be further used in POV-Ray.
>>
>> This is more or less a standard procedure I have developed over the
>> years and it works very fast. Most time of course is taken by the
>> modelling proper in Silo or in Blender (for those who prefer that program).
>>
>> I am sorry not to have intermediate images of the process.
>>
>> --
>> Thomas
>
> Thanks for the explanation! It sounds quite involved. I was starting to think
> you might have sculpted it, or used some blob-sorcery like H.E. Day used. (I've
> probably said this before, but I wonder what happened to him...)

Sean? Yes, been a while indeed... I regularly study his work to learn
mind-blowing tricks...

> I've never used Silo, but I remember it being pretty much the best modeling
> program for a while, along with Rhino. I tried the latter for a while, but then
> I found Blender instead. (Everyone's got their favorites!)
>
> Sam

Imo, Blender is top dog but I never got far enough to be able to really
use it. Rhino was much too expensive. Silo, while not free, is an
excellent program, straightforward, and easy to learn. It was instantly
my favourite modelling program.

--
Thomas