POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Pristine Bronze Age sword : Re: Pristine Bronze Age sword Server Time
20 May 2024 03:27:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pristine Bronze Age sword
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 10 Jul 2023 02:41:55
Message: <64aba833$1@news.povray.org>
Op 08/07/2023 om 23:05 schreef Samuel B.:
>> Op 7-7-2023 om 02:06 schreef Samuel B.:
>>> Hi Thomas,
>>>
>>> I saw that article too, and the idea of finding an ancient sword is inspiring.
>>> (I've always loved swords, even if I don't like what they're used for.)
>>> [...]
>>
>> Hi Sam,
>> Good to see you are still with us! The article has been the pretext to
>> revisit and update a scene I did back in 2009 (I never showed it here
>> though) about my very personal view on Grendel, the demonic villain in
>> the Beowulf ("/HWÆT!/"). For the sword I use Silo and a couple of
>> photographs of Bronze Age blades as templates. I am working on it when I
>> have the time. I'll be back when done.
>>

> Yeah, I'm still around and checking in occasionally. (But lurking, because I
> don't have anything new to share, haha. I do have things I've started on, but
> they're very much in the early WIP stage, and might not get completed.)

I can fully understand this indeed ;-)

> Ancient mythologies are interesting, and the lore (ideas, creatures, demons,
> etc.) often makes its way into videos games, such as the Castlevania series. I
> tend to think such beings represent psychological aspects of ourselves since,
> like dreams, myths come from /something/, even if it's just the wreckage of
> half-baked thoughts washing ashore ;)

Yes indeed. What I am curious about is what lies /behind/ the myths, the
original story or event as it were. Impossible to reconstruct obviously,
in the vast majority of cases, but a rewarding quest for dreaming up
"what if's..." which can then be turned into other stories or scenes.

> I'm looking forward to the sword! Btw, the Sumerian vase was neat.

Thanks, Sam. The vase still needs more work before I feel totally
satisfied but it is at an acceptable stage at the moment. As for the
sword, I have a couple of choices to make where the blade aspect is
concerned. Many period blades have a more leaf-shaped form and I am
inclined to follow that pattern rather than the present rather straight
edged one.

--
Thomas